February 12, 2008

(post)cards are not dead

Since this is my first post, I suppose it's introductions. My name is Hannah, and I am a sophomore in a Philadelphia public magnet high school, the Science Leadership Academy. My school in three words: Projects and Hugs.

I plan to use this blog to write pretty much write whatever I feel like talking about at any given moment. That could range from school to music to sports (unlikely but possible) to technology to the news to goodness knows what else! Doesn't that sound exciting?

WXPN (88.5 fm) is a fabulous radio station. I am listening right now to one of their "Live at the World Cafe" cds. A couple times a year they release a cd of live performances from their free-at-noon concerts. What I love most about XPN and these cds is that the music is really varied in terms of style/genre, yet it all fits together so well. I guess that's the point of radio and djs, to make everything work together, but it still amazes me. I wouldn't like some of these songs on their own. I probably would not like many of these artists' full cds. But, put these songs together in a playlist, and it's wonderful.

Here's the lineup on volume 24:

1. Let It Ride - Ryan Adams
2. No Bad News - Patty Griffin
3. O' Valencia! - the Decemberists
4. Falling Slowly - the Frames
5. Start a War - the National
6. Hands Open - Snow Patrol
7. Diablo Rojo - Rodrigo y Gabriela
8. I Trained Her to Love Me - Nick Lowe
9. Clifton Bridge - Mark Olson
10. Worst Trip - Dr. Dog
11. I Think I'm In Love - Beck
12. Ankle Injuries - Fujiya & Miyagi
13. Back in Your Head - Tegan & Sara
14. Get Up, Get Out - the Rosebuds
15. All My Friends - LCD Soundsystem
16. The Car Song - the Cat Empire
17. Modesto Is Not That Sweet - the Hold Steady
18. Imitosis - Andrew Bird

So yeah. My favorite tracks on there are 1, 2, 3, 10, 11, and 14. This is my favorite of the world cafe cds I have. I think my next post might elaborate on my music library. I have quite a bit =]

1 comment:

mrbest said...

Fannah,
As I think you know, I too am a huge fan of XPN. That looks like a pretty sweet tracklist. I'm a huge decemberists fan, and have been way into The National and LCD soundsystem in the past few months. "All My Friends" is a great song.