April 21, 2008

Meme: High School Daze to Praise

Meme Rules:

- Select and briefly review one teen novel, classic or modern, which is a sure antidote to the daze of high school.
-Title your post Meme: High School Daze to Praise
-Include an image with your post.
-Tag four blogger colleagues.


After a couple of days of not being able to think of a book that would get my lazy classmates to read, I finally thought of one. I’ve read a few blog posts lately (A Writing Curbxstomp and Soojin, and perhaps others that I don’t remember) on comic books, manga, and graphic novels. Then – aha! – it hit me! Duh, a teenager would love to read a graphic novel, and there are those out there with the potential to spark great discussions. And forget the rules, here are two:

Option 1: Maus, by Art SpiegelmanI absolutely loved this book, especially because I could relate to many of the characters – Art reminds me of my father, and his father reminds me of my grandmother. I’m sure students could recognize their relatives in these nagging characters. Soojin commented that in comics, Americans all look the same – in Maus, characters are drawn as different animals to represent their nationality, so no confusion there!

One of the best things about Maus for the classroom is the interdisciplinary material. It is about the Holocaust, and so could fit in nicely with a history course. It could be used in conjunction with an art class as well due to the format. Actually, both of my suggestions could be used in history and art class. Graphic novels are fabulous!

Option 2: Persepolis, by Marjane SatrapiAgain, expressive drawings, and intricate plot with lots of relevant topics. The writing style in Persepolis is a bit hard to get used to, because Ms. Satrapi writes very directly, so it can feel a bit jerky at times. However, it’s an extremely rich story, with a lot going on, and much of it (if not ALL of it) teenagers can relate to today (in some way, shape or form).

Okay, I tag:

Lehmann (has he been tagged already?)
Chase
Meg
Dylan

9 comments:

Lindsea said...

I loved Persepolis. The movie was great too. Probably my favorite graphic novel would have to be "Therefore Repent". The art is well done and the story is deep and dark and twisted, which I like.

Fannah Heldman said...

Ooh, I'll have to read it! Deep and dark and twisted is always good. Do you know who the author is?

Lindsea said...

Yup, here's the info: http://www.amazon.com/Therefore-Repent-Jim-Munroe/dp/1600101461

pc said...

Interesting selections. Thanks for responding to the meme. I originated it at Quoteflections. Please check out my April 3 and 11 posts. Speak is a great book for Grade 9 students. I will also report about your post in a few days.

Ricky said...

I read Maus in my first semester in college. It was an interesting story.

Shelley said...

Slightly OT, but if you loved these two books, I bet you'll plotz over Alison Bechdel's Fun Home.

It's completely amazing.

And thanks for the follow... Philly girl singer w/ a sense of humor? You betcha!

IntrepidTeacher said...

Hi Hannah,

I loved Persepolis too. Seeing that I was born in Iran, I feel a certain connection to it. We exiles all feel the pull. I agree with Lindsea that the movie is worth watching, while not as political it tells a great coming of age story.

Speaking of Lindsea, I see that she truly is everywhere and she is probably how you found your way to Intrepid Classroom.

I am impressed by your Web2.0 savvyness and think you will make a great student/teacher in our little experiment.

I hope to see you there often. As for your journalism request, what about the topic do you want to learn more about. I will add your blog to our newly created blogroll.

Nice to meet you...

IntrepidTeacher said...

oOne more thing, the picture at the top of Intrepid Classroom was taken by me at Persepolis which is outside of Shiraz in Tehran in 2002.

Fannah Heldman said...

@lindsea The book is now on my list
@shelley as is that one!

@pc Thanks. I personally didn't like Speak. I found it a bit shallow. Then again, I read it on my own, so perhaps a teacher or other students would have been able to bring more meaning to it.

@ricky I loved it :) Have you read both?

@shelley and a Friends teacher? Of course!

@intrepid teacher I found it from you actually - I was already following your tweets.
The pic's great on the blog. I would love to travel there and see it in person. Well, I guess I'd like to travel anywhere...