April 16, 2008

A Mini-Rant on Signals


This is my rant for tonight…I’m a bit frustrated…

If, on a social network or aim, a person does not wish to talk to someone, they should really just say so. Saying something really short and with no substance like “thanks” or “no problem” or simply “yeah” is rude, because the person receiving the message doesn’t know what to do with that. It’s not clearly stating that the person sending it wants to sever contact, but it doesn’t exactly allow for a response. The receiver is then left in the predicament of how to respond. Should they post back with a message of substance in hopes for a meatier response? Should they not respond and let communication die off? Be clear in what you want! Do you want to converse or not? Let me know.

If you cannot tell by now, I’m in the receiver’s position… So, Ilan, do you want me to stop talking already?

4 comments:

mrsdurff said...

You didn't get the memo? We woman are mindreaders!

Soojin said...

I think there are issues like that because the way we comprehend words is different from the internet and real world. If someone replied to me in real world "yeah, thanks, no prob.", i would consider that normal.
But in the internet when someone writes on my wall like 1 or 2 words as a reply then that doesn't look too good.
I once tried 1-2 word reply and worded as if I was going to say in reality to see how my friends would react. They thought I was angry. ;p

jinsoo said...

well, where i live, if you want to end a conversation, just don't talk. if i ever got messages like 'yeah', i would be pretty surprised because someone actually took the time to type four letters and click on 'post'. good rant though :)

Fannah Heldman said...

@mrsdurff Oh right! I really should tune into those frequencies more often...

@soojin True...it would be so much better if people saw each other all the time then. Oy.

@jinsoo It is a bit odd that they would bother to type out a tiny little word if they didn't want to talk. Wasted effort?