May 5, 2008

Book Mode

I just finished reading a book. I'm in book mode. To those close to me, I don't need to explain any further as to why I'm unusually quiet, or spacey, or just plain unresponsive.

After I read a book, I need time to let it settle. Just to think about it, and see if anything pops into my head. I don't like to actively think about themes or morals. I let the lessons and ideas seep into my head by osmosis.

For me, reading is an escape mechanism. I don't like to bring myself into the books. That would defy my purpose in reading. Because of that, I can't tell you what I learned from which book. But, I can tell you that my principles stem from my ideas, my ideas that pop into my head when I'm in book mode.

Book mode is a trance. I try not to talk. I just observe, and process. I try not to force my thoughts. I just think, and remember.

It lasts perhaps a day or two after I read an interesting, applicable, thought-provoking book. It's an enjoyable time.

2 comments:

Annie Park said...

"After I read a book, I need time to let it settle. Just to think about it, and see if anything pops into my head. I don't like to actively think about themes or morals. I let the lessons and ideas seep into my head by osmosis."

This is why I enjoy reading outside of school as well as in school - because the books we read at school always require discussions, predictions, analyses, etc. Sometimes, it's a whole lot better to enjoy a book without those side activities.

dabinl10 said...

I love the sentence in which you mentioned your ideas being seeped into your head by osmosis. nice expression.

People sometimes focus on pretentious discussion about books rather than enjoying the literature itself.

Nice post. Your blog is very pleasant to visit :)