February 12, 2010

NACLO = awesome

I have been missing out for the past three-odd years. In other words, I have been busy not participating in the North American Computational Linguistics Olympiad. It's so sad.

The past week or so, before all the snow, I spent three hours solving some logic puzzles. It was possibly the most fun three hours I have spent in the past three years.

So now, I'm waiting to hear back, to see how I did. I really hope to be invited to the national invitational round, to be held mid-March-ish. That one is five hours! :D

Beyond that round, there's the international Linguistics Olympiad. This year it's in Uppsala, Sweden. There's no way I'd get that far, but I can always hope!

As for the questions, there were many warnings, like "ARGH DON'T TALK ABOUT THE QUESTIONS BEFORE THEY'RE POSTED ON THE WEBSITE GRRR." Anyways, my favorite *kind* of question was the one where they give you some sentences in a random language and their translations, and then you have to translate some other sentences from English and to English. So fun.

In other news, I need to learn about Turkish vowel harmony...

No comments: